Monday, November 5, 2012

November 4, 2012

I feel like I write more about what I do in my weekly letter to the president than I do in regular emails to home...so here you go!

Hello President Hawks!!

How are you doing? This week has been really great! It's amazing what happens when all of one's thoughts and efforts are directed toward our missionary purpose.

As for investigators, I haven't met [BW] investigator yet because he was sick the day we were going to see him. Hopefully he'll get better so we can see him soon!
We did find a pretty solid potential named [HJ]! He seems pretty interested in the Plan of Salvation. We're looking forward to meeting with him this week!

We met with [M], a less active that doesn't come to church because he sleeps in due to going to bed so late after playing video games. However, we ended up taking him to church this passed Sunday and the next couple of Sundays we'll have the young men pick him up and they'll go together! (yay for fellowshippers!!)

Studies have been great. The Book of Mormon is such a powerful testimony of the church being true. In fact, it is THE most powerful witness of the truthfulness of this church. I didn't really understand that quote "It all comes down to them knowing whether the Book of Mormon is true or not," until just this morning. It's a powerful witness of Jesus, our Christ. It's a powerful witness that God exists. It's a powerful witness that Joseph Smith truly was called of God and was the instrument in the Lord's Hands to restore the fullness of His gospel. Having a personal testimony of the Book of Mormon is key to serving a mission. It is one of the most important things to know in order to fully serve God with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength. I know that the The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ is the most true book that has ever been on the earth. I know that it was translated through the power of God.
Speaking of serving with all one's might- I'm finally beginning to internalize Doctrine and Covenants Section 4 into my stubborn head. "The field is white, already to harvest." Wow, what a powerful statement. It is in the scriptures. It was a revelation given to the prophet Joseph Smith. So who is one to say that an area doesn't have much potential while the field is sitting there just waiting to be harvested? In my honest opinion, every area has a ton of potential. If one were to approach a child as if the child had no potential to grow, the child would most likely almost immediately start to regress and absolutely no development in the child would occur. This is the exact opposite of how one should approach an area or even a mission! If one were to approach an area thinking that there's not much potential, well of course nothing will happen in the area!! That kind of mindset is a first class ticket to no success. Treating each area as if it were filled with potential will only cause the success rate to rise tremendously. Treating a child as if they had potential and allowing them to grow will cause them to well...grow! How do you expect something to grow when you don't even think it will! I'm so excited to serve in this area! I see the potential it has and I'm so excited to work as hard as possible with the members and really strive to be obedient.

I love this work.

-Elder Johnson

I'd like to add a bit more. See the potential in all of those you see. See the potential that Heavenly Father sees in not only your fellow brothers and sisters, but also in yourself. As you do this, tremendous growth will come about and your life will be tremendously blessed. I know this to be true. Heavenly Father loves us so much and gave us a reason to live. This life has a purpose- to prepare ourselves to return to our Father in Heaven.

I have to go, but I love you all.

Keep the faith. Share the gospel. Wonderful blessings are in store.

-Elder Johnson :)

--
Elder Timothy Johnson
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorscet Crescent
Kowloon Tong
Kowloon
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment