Monday, November 19, 2012

November 19, 2012

This week was good. It's supposedly a fairly difficult area, but I feel that there's a ton of potential. We just need to go out and find more and have more faith. I know that there are a ton of prepared people in our area. We just need to find them. :)

I've been writing in my journal a lot. I realized how much I love writing. I usually write about what happened that day, but I mainly right about what I've been thinking a lot about that day. Lately I've been thinking a lot about change. In Chinese there's two types of change. There's change meaning the very general meaning of change and there's change meaning changing into a better state. Is there a word for that? Progress? Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about the latter form of change. This life is all about progression and walking by faith. Having faith in something and believing in something are two very different things. Merely believing in something is like basing the foundation of your house upon the sand of the beach. Having faith in something infers that you are acting upon that faith. Faith in Christ leads us to act. To strive to live a more Christ-like life. Having faith in something is like having a firm foundation to hold up one's house. With belief, the house can easily fall down. However, with faith, the house will stay strong This is why we're encouraged to build our foundation upon the Rock of the Redeemer. To have faith in Christ.

Being able to progress is an amazing gift that Heavenly Father has bestowed upon us. Heavenly Father is so willing to forgive us of our imperfections. In fact he knew that we wouldn't be perfect, so He was willing to send His Only Begotten Son to atone for our imperfections. As it says in the scriptures, Christ has overcome all temptations, pains, and afflictions. As we act and have faith upon our Savior we too can overcome temptation, pain, and affliction.
The power of partaking the sacrament is amazing. One looking at who they are currently and looking back on how they used to be is a really powerful moment. If we fully use the power of the Atonement we can receive the type of change that I've been really talking about every week. We can become closer to Heavenly Father and become more like Christ every week. Yes we'll still make mistakes the next week, but again, if we consciously use the power of the Atonement and consciously recognize the power of the sacrament, we don't need to worry about what we've done. We can repent and strive to be better. We can learn from the past rather than live in it.

The love shown from our Father in Heaven by sending His Only Begotten Son to be sacrificed for the inhabitants of the world is powerful evidence of the love that God has for His children. The love shown from our Savior by living a life of being rejected, for suffering an unimaginable pain in the Garden of Gethsemane, and and for dying on the cross is powerful evidence of the love that Christ has for us. It is also powerful evidence that we can have this hope to overcome life's challenges. No matter how large the challenge seems, Christ has overcome it first. He understands the challenge and He is waiting to help you. All we need to do is have the active faith that I've been talking about.

The reason I chose to serve a mission is described in the paragraphs above. The Father and the Son have both shown us Their love. We too must show Them our love.

I really love being here. It's difficult. In fact, quite possibly the most difficult thing that I have done. It is also the most amazing and rewarding thing that I have done as well, and I would not rather be doing anything else right now.

I love being here.

Love ya,

Elder Johnson :))

No comments:

Post a Comment