Elder Timothy Johnson's Journey to teach the gosel in the Hong Kong, Kow Loon Mission
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Hi!-July 26, 2012
Hello!!
That's so exciting that you all got to skype with Sean and Lia!! I hope and pray that they will be a part of our family sooner than later!!!!!! Lia sounds so sweet! I can see Kristin and her getting along so well! As for Sean running around the room the whole time- I won't be surprised if our yard will grow from having 2 yard apes to 3. ;)
This week went by SO fast. I hardly remember what exactly happened, BUT! I do have 3 things that I know for sure that happened this passed week.
1) I gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting. No. Not an impromptu "youth speaker" talk as was given in Alabama. Like a real 15-20 minute talk. Have you ever given a talk in Chinese? It's hard. I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to give a talk though, it really was a humbling experience. I jotted down bullet points and ideas that I wanted to share, but didn't realize that I probably should have practiced before I gave it. Throughout the talk I would stop and try to think of a word, and then the congregation would simultaneously mumble under their breath causing their mumbling to not be so quiet. haha :) It was quite a difficult thing to do, but I'm glad that I was able to fail so I can learn what not to do and how to get better. Being able to fail to learn how to be a better person is so great. It hurts. A lot. But being able to figure out how to become better after a fail brings success. God loves us so much. He wants us to have success. For this reason, He sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins and mistakes. Through the enabling power of the Atonement we can overcome any difficulty for Christ has suffered every pain, affliction, and temptation each person that has existed has faced, each person that does exist does and will face, and each person that will exist will face. His love really the love we should all strive for.
2) I witnessed a number 8 typhoon!!! We had to immediately leave where we were, go back home, and stay in until the typhoon passed through. It lasted for about 18 hours. It's still pretty rainy here, but not as bad as it was.
3) This week we have EEFY! English Especially for Youth! Every day for two hours we teach English! We play games, sit down and have a "formal" lesson and at the end we share a spiritual message relating to whatever we were learned that day. We've had about 10-20 people come each day! Most of them are members of the church, but a couple of people aren't! So it's really been a great way to help people learn more about Jesus Christ and His gospel. :)
Question (with a long background story):
So a couple of weeks ago we got a new mission president. He's really throwing himself in the work already. He said that when he got to Hong Kong on his own mission when he was our age, the branch that he went to in his first transfer had 4 people-2 of them were he and his trainer, and the other two were another companionship, but now there are 4 STAKES in Hong Kong. He really appreciates the success that Hong Kong has recieved in helping others come unto Christ, but he wants to see more. He really wants to see 25 stakes in 5 years. We obviously need to be doing something different.
I really like that he has this vision because in 5 years none of us will be in Hong Kong, but we need to help build a foundation for the missionaries in the future for this goal to really happen. I really think that this is part of the definition of "losing yourself in the work"- really stop complaining about not recieving immediate success and start trying new things and really striving to help Hong Kong learn more of Jesus Christ for now and forever.
I've really been thinking a lot about member work. This really will be how we can help Hong Kong learn more of this amazing gospel. Through members, there will be more retention and more success. Now my question is how can we really help inspire the members to share the gospel to their friends?
I know that this gospel extends into the eternities and through this gospel we can obtain everlasting happiness. We'll really be able to live with our families and God and His Son, Jesus Christ, forever. I really love this gospel and I want people to know about it. I hope you all understand the fullness of Christ's church that was established when He was on this earth has been restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon is powerful evidence that Joseph Smith was called by God to restore His church. I really encourage you all to read this book daily. If you don't know if it is true or not, please find out for yourself. I can tell you all about the stories of the prophets in the Book of Mormon, and I can tell you all about why I believe it is another testament of Jesus Christ and his teachings, but the only way you can know for yourself that it is the most correct book on the earth today is through reading it and asking God whether or not it is true and I can testify that if you willingly do this with an open heart that the Holy Spirit will fill your heart and testify of truth, for the Holy Spirit only testifies of truth.
I really encourage you all to share about the restoration of Christ's gospel and the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ to your friends, neighbor's and families. This message is of great value and importance. I really encourage you all to find your own way in sharing the message of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ- whether it be carrying a Book of Mormon in your backpack wherever you go, inviting a friend to church, or inviting a friend to have dinner with you and the missionaries.
I love this gospel too much to not share how I really feel about the things of which I have just talked about. I know that the Book of Mormon does not add nor take away from the Bible and its teachings. I know that it supports the Bible and its teachings as does the Bible support the Book of Mormon and its teachings. I know that the Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible are the words of God straight from the writings of prophets- God's representatives who He calls to guide and lead His church.
I know that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior. I really like a quote from one of the speakers we had while I was in the MTC. "I know that Jesus Christ died for all of us, but more importantly, He died for me." It sounds fairly arrogant when you first read it, but if you stop and think about it, we all need this kind of relationship with our Savior Jesus Christ. He died for us personally. I want you all to know that. He understands each temptation, trial, affliction, and pain that you have ever felt in your life and will feel throughout your life. He knows you. He knows you personally. He knows you by name. I loves you and wants you to come unto Him and follow His commandments to return to His and our Father in Heaven's presence.
I love you all!! I hope you all have a great week! :)
-Elder Tim :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment